Herbicide tank mixes are the standard application method used in today’s production agriculture. Rarely is a product applied by itself with simply water as a carrier. To be effective, all herbicides and additives to a spray solution must be thoroughly mixed and dissolved to form a homogeneous spray mixture. Proper mixing order influences compatibility, tank cleaning, and product performance. Spray additives can pre-condition water to increase the efficacy of certain herbicides added later. Drift reduction additives and deposition aids can greatly improve product performance in the crop. Applicators must read and follow all label directions and must adhere to approved tank mixes and mixing requirements.
2017 Generalized Pesticide Mixing Order Recommendation:
- Fill spray tank half full of water and begin agitation. Allow plenty of time between ingredient additions, as product must be completely dissolved and mixed before next ingredient.
- Add Water Dispersible Granules (FirstRate), Extruded (Dimetric EXT) followed by Flowables and agitate.
- Add Soluble Concentrate (SC) or Suspo-Emulsion (SE) formulated products and agitate.
- Add Water Conditioner products (Class Act, AMS, pH modifiers, or non-AMS, non-oil-based water conditioner) and agitate. (*note for DT soybeans- AMS and pH lowering additives are not allowed).
- For dicamba soybean systems: Add in Engenia or XtendiMax, and agitate.
- For dicamba soybean systems: Add in Drift Reduction Agent (AG 16098, Capsule, or three-way like Astonish)
- Add MAX-IN Brand Micros (other brands are later and agitate.
- Add in insecticides, Fungicides and other EC formulated products (Section Three, Select Max), then agitate.
- Add glyphosate and agitate.
- Add other brands of micronutrients.
- Add adjuvants (Superb HC, Preference, Interlock, other NIS and Oil-Based Adjuvants) and agitate.
- Finish filling the spray tank with water.
- End the day with the sprayer empty and the spray booms flushed, if possible.
For DT soybean systems and DRA agents: Always refer to specific product labels for mixing order for the DRA.
2017 General Tank Cleaning Guidelines:
- Rinse the inside of the spray tank first, flushing with water.
- Triple rinse the sprayer, using a commercially available tank cleaner in the process, being sure to thoroughly circulate the cleaner solution throughout the sprayer for the recommended time.
- Be sure to clean nozzles, nozzle bodies, screens, strainers and boom end sections thoroughly.